Operation to target misuse of motorbikes in Harnham

Alert message sent 02/08/2019 09:52:00

Information sent on behalf of Wiltshire Police

An operation to target the misuse of motorbikes in the Harnham area was held this week (July 31). 

The operation, which was led by community coordinator PC Jack Billington and local PCSO Simon Ward, saw police officers and PCSOs from South CPT, the Unmanned Aviation Support Group (drone) and Roads Policing Unit, getting involved. 

Cycle and motorbike patrols were carried out and focused on footpaths, by-ways and fields around Harnham Hill, Harnham Slope and the chalk pit, with additional patrols carried out along by-ways leading to Salisbury Racecourse.

Officers engaged with local dog walkers, councillors and residents of nearby properties to gather information and intelligence, as well as provide reassurance, following an incident on July 14 where a dog walker had a near miss with an off-road motorbike rider in the area. 

The operation concluded with foot patrols of the Harnham Recreation Ground and the river close to the Old Mill pub, in response to reports of anti-social behaviour involving young people using the river in the hot weather. 

PC Jack Billington said: “We carried out these targeted patrols following a number of reports of youths using off road motorbikes in the area, which was understandably causing concern for the local community. 

“I hope that our presence yesterday was reassuring to the public and also acted as a deterrent to those involved in this anti-social behaviour. 

“I’d urge all parents and guardians to highlight the dangers of this kind of reckless behaviour to their children – it is illegal for an off road motorcycle to be ridden on Harnham Slope and it is also an offence for a vehicle to be used in a public place where it causes someone harassment, alarm or distress.”

To report any incidents call 101. 

Please note that the byways are considered 'roads' so the following rules apply:

If you drive your trial bike, mini-moto, quad bike or similar off-road vehicle on the road it must have the following:
       -  Valid MOT certificate if more than three years old
-         Full car licence or a category B1 licence if it was issued before January 1997
-         A minimum of third party insurance to drive a quad bike on the road
-         Registered with the DVLA, taxed, with front and rear number plates
Only vehicles that meet the required standards and are registered with the DVLA can be used on our roads, pavements and car parks. As well as being registered, they must be taxed and insured.

There are no exemptions for vehicles designed for off-road use or for young people.
Message sent by
Katie Bond (Police, Media Officer, Wiltshire)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.
Buy SSL Certificate