Safety warning around smoking following house fire in Warminster

Alert message sent 14/05/2020 14:00:00

Information sent on behalf of Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service


Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder about the importance of working smoke alarms following a fire at a home in Warminster at 2:56am today (1 May).
Two appliances from Warminster and one appliance from Westbury were called to the property at 2:56am where two breathing apparatus wearers used one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze. The bedroom of the house in Boreham Field, Warminster was severely damaged by fire after, we believe smoking materials set fire to the bedroom where the occupant was sleeping. The first floor of the property was affected by smoke.
The occupant of the property was taken to hospital by the Ambulance service and two pet cats was rescued from the property. One cat had to be revived using the Smoky Paws oxygen therapy kit.
Station Manager Matthew Maggs said: “The property did have working smoke alarms which alerted the occupier. Had that not been the case, the outcome could have been far worse. Every home should have a working smoke alarm on every level, and these should be tested regularly.”
He added: “The fire was believed to have been caused by discarded smoking materials. Cigarettes and other smoking products are the source of ignition in a third of all accidental fire fatalities in the home.  These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home.”
Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight
Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
Fit a smoke alarm and test it at least monthly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free Safe & Well visits – to see whether you qualify, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safe-and-well-visits or call 0800 038 2323.
Message sent by
Rachel Clements (Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue, Administrator, Wiltshire Area Command)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.